Sunday 3 July 2011

A Gift That's Priceless........

As next week is National Transplant week I thought I would have a little "rant" about that.
I am interested to see how many people I know (whether its family, friends, or an acquaintance) are actually registered as organ donors. To be honest, I dont think its that many.
I dont think I should preach about it but I can certainly say my opinion. Everyone has a different opinion on organ donation. I suppose some people would say im bias due to being connected closely with the subject currently and needing some new organs myself!
I was once having my hair done at a hairdressers not far from my home. It was the same day I was waiting for the call to say I was "active" on the transplant list. I was chatting with my hairdresser (lets call her Steph) about going on the list, my assessment, my illness and of course organ donation. I was speaking openly with her as I had met her a couple of time previously and I knew her mother (who treats me at the hospital I attend). Deep into the conversation one of Stephs colleagues listened in to our conversation and started voicing her opinion on organ donation. The tall blonde (lets call her Helen) started by saying "once you've had it, you've had it. That's it.People shouldnt get transplants." Me being me I of course laughed (nervously & shocked). I asked her if she heard all of our conversation or just part of it, because if she had heard all of it then that was a pretty harsh statement for me to hear. Steph then very swiftly informed her that I was waiting for a transplant. Then of course a lot of back peddling commensed!! To cut a long conversation short, this "Helen" had then carried on to say that she couldnt give any of her organs because she didnt want to be "cut up". I then told her that if she were to die of anything except natural causes then chances are she would have to be cut up anyway due to an autopsy. Which she didnt realise and then she was asked if she would give an organ to her partner, to which she said she would, with no hesitation!
So it seems many people arent on the organ donor list, but would give an organ to a loved one. So my question is......what if you were in that situation?? What if someone close to you needed an organ in order to live? Your child? Your friend? Your husband/wife? A family member? Or maybe even yourself? Would you then look at organ donation a whole different way? Is that fair?
Is it fair that some people would happily take an organ but would never even entertain giving one??
Why wouldnt you want to give the gift of life? You could live your life and then save 5 others by just taking 2 minutes out of your life to sign the donor list. You could keep a mother/fathers child alive, you could keep a childs mother/father alive, a friend who would be able to carry on fighting and give inspiration to others around them. Theres so many situations that people dont think about.
Then theres the people who wait and wait for a transplant and that day never comes for them. Its too late. Theres not enough donors to save everyone, which devatstates families and friends everyday. 3 people die every day waiting for a transplant due to the shortage of donors.
Maybe there should be an opt out system?
Your not going to need your organs when you have passed, (to put it abruptly) so I dont understand what some people are so against. Whether its religion or some other factors I dont know.
Statistically, you are more likely to need a transplant than to ever become a donor. So people really should stop and consider what if they needed a transplant!I think organ donation is one selfless good deed and the more people that support it the better. It has already saved and improved so many lifes over the years, so lets keep it going!!

Have you registered? If not then please take a minute and think what you would do if you or a loved one needed an organ??

For more info:-
http://www.lltgl.org.uk/ 



 To register:-
http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk/ukt/how_to_become_a_donor/how_to_become_a_donor.jsp

No comments:

Post a Comment